Thursday, March 1, 2012

Basic Needs

Today I had a third grade boy tell me that he doesn't smile.  I tried my hardest to get him to crack but he wasn't taking the bait.  Finally, after some of my best material failed, I saw his lips change position and begin to form the basic shape of a what could be a smile but then he stopped himself and walked away.

Yesterday I had a fifth grade boy ask if I wanted to see a picture of his father.  I told him that I would love to see the picture, fully expecting him to get a photo from his backpack or jacket pocket.  Instead he walked over to my computer and navigated his way onto a web site that showed mug shots.  There staring back at me was his dad.  In the Newark system for God knows what.

The boys at my school are starved for things we all take for granted.  Hugs from men being the number one.  Healthy meals are number two and discipline and structure are tied for number three. How can these kids be expected to learn anything when they come to school lacking the utter basic needs of life?

I love when I hear people and pundits speak of what's "wrong" with inner city schools.  It 's always some asinine commentary on what teachers do wrong.  Come spend a week with me and then make your comments.

The kids I work with are not intellectually underserved.  They are emotionally underserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment