Monday, March 19, 2012

Two Weeks From Hell

In the last two weeks the following things have happened at my school:
- As I wrote in an earlier post I was choked by a third grade boy.
- One of the most beloved security guards at our school was attacked by a fifth grade boy and punched repeatedly causing severe bruising on her arms and back.
- A third grade teacher was pushed so hard by a boy in another class that she fell over.
- A seventh grade teacher found out that her blood pressure is too high due to stress and was told to take a two week medical leave.

In addition to all of this, Miss M, the dance teacher was also hurt and took a medical leave.  Miss M is a massive presence in our school and losing her seems like the final blow.  The school is out of control and the kids know it.  I feel terrible for many of the children because they are scared, confused and frustrated.  There is not much learning going on and how could there be?  If you noticed - many of the incidents that are occurring at my school are being done so by boys.  The male population at my school is in crisis.  These boys are terrified.  They also lack self esteem and - as I have said numerous times - a male influence.

As a teacher, the last two weeks have been crazy but I'm not leaving.  I'm committed.  I'm determined to try and make a difference.  Many times I look at the kids from the perspective of a parent not as an educator.  These kids are being robbed of something and it's not just an education but also their lives and development.

I have to try and change that.

No comments:

Post a Comment