Monday, February 20, 2012

Lesson I

The most amazing thing that I learned at the close of that first week was that I did not want to leave.  In fact I realized that this was where I belonged.  I knew it was going to be the hardest job I ever had but I also knew I wanted the challenge.

For me the challenge was going to be convincing these children of their potential.  Making sure they knew that they were capable of anything.  They were all smart, talented kids but they had the misfortune of being born into a place that constantly told them they had very few options.  It was going to be my job to convince them otherwise.

While my kids and the other children in The Land of Make Believe had a mindset of "When I go to college..."  the kids 10 miles up the road had a mindset of "If I eat dinner tonight..."  That's what I was working against and whether or not I had the teaching chops and patience to get over that hump was the $100,000.00 dollar question.

No comments:

Post a Comment