Friday, June 14, 2013

Parents

I think that my teaching experiences the last two years account for an almost sociological experiment/observation.  Last year I was in a rough inner city school where a majority of the children were living in significant to severe poverty.  Every day was an adventure in terms of not just the behavior of the children, but also the parents and adults.  This year I worked in an upper middle-class suburban school district where the children don't want for anything.  They all pretty much have or get whatever they need.

The one thing that blew my mind the most (aside from the vast economic disparity) is the role the parents play within both populations.  In the inner city (generally speaking) the parents were non-existent in their child's lives and you could see the impact this had.  In the suburbs (again, generally speaking) the parents almost smother the children.  They seem to be shadowing every step their child takes and have a say in practically every facet of their lives.  In both cases, the parents are hurting their children.

I plan on going into this subject in more detail, but I will summarize my feelings by saying (sadly): I have come to the conclusion that parents are really messing it all up.  I look at the way the kids were in Newark (rudderless ships) and the way the kids in the Land of Make Believe are (overindulged and not allowed to see or discover things for themselves) and I'm sad and upset with both.

Somewhere this whole experience could be a PHD thesis.

No comments:

Post a Comment