Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Those Who Do Not Know the Past...

I have been out of my old school in Newark for almost two years.  But, as you know from the posts on this page, I was deeply affected by my experience there.  In fact, it changed my life.  I formed relationships with the teachers as well as many of the students and therefore am still in touch with what's going on at the school as well as Newark in general.

I can tell you that Newark, as a city, is a mess.  The gun violence is out of control.  Young people are getting fatally shot or wounded on a weekly if not daily basis.  Most of this seems to be gang related which means the gang violence is also out of control.  The schools are a wreck.  I still talk with many of my old teacher friends as well as administrators, and they all tell me the same thing: the powers that be are trying to turn Newark Public Schools into a charter school system.  They are more focused on dismantling the union and taking power away from the teachers instead of focusing on the kids.

My old school is a micro-example of what's going on.  Some of my old students have completely lost their way and are caught up in drugs and gangs.  One student was caught smoking marijuana in the bathroom and received in-school suspension.  Nothing else.  The gym teacher - who is over 6 feet tall and 200 pounds - was recently threatened by a student and no disciplinary action was taken.  Students run the halls and disrespect the teachers.  Kids are living in poverty and come to school stressed, anxious and angry...but let's focus on dismantling the teacher's union because that's the problem.

The former mayor of Newark, Cory Booker, ran for a US Senate seat and during his campaign no one ever asked him about the gangs, poverty, or crime in his city.  Here was a man on the national stage with national appeal and popularity and no one in the media ever stood up and questioned the status of the city that he was about to leave behind.  Why?

I was speaking with a friend of mine the other night who is a principal in a Newark High School.  He proceeded to tell me stories about students who had punched administrators, and cursed at teachers.  He told me an unbelievable story about a disabled student.  He stood there shaking his head but, like all of the educators I know in Newark, was going to go back.  These people are not turning their backs on the kids or the city for that matter.  They are working within to try and make a difference.  I post on this blog and other writings as my way of trying to help.  I may have physically left Newark (not by choice) but my spirit, beliefs, and passion for the kids will never leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment